What you need to know
IELTS essential information
For further information regarding IELTS, please contact the IELTS office of the University Language Centre using the following contact details:
Tel: +44 (0)161 306 8991
Accepted forms of ID:
• Passport - This must have your photo, name in English, date of birth, ID number and expiry date.
• National ID Card (for EU Citizens only). This must have your photograph, name in English lettering, signature, date of birth and a unique number.
• This IELTS test centre is able to accept English language testing applications from UK Visas & Immigration applicants who have recently taken an English language test in the UK or Ireland with another SELT provider, and who are now required to submit other evidence of English language proficiency. If this applies to you, we are able to accept a certified passport copy if it is accompanied by the UK Visas & Immigration letter indicating that you may choose to take a new English Language test with another SELT provider. You can send us copies of these documents by post or email. If we approve your documentation you will need to bring both these documents with you on the test day.
• United Kingdom Biometric residency cards - please send a scan/picture of both the back and front of the card.
• Application Registration Card - issued by the UK Home office.
Accepted forms of ID:
- If you cannot supply a passport/ID Card, you should contact us for advice.
- Student cards / drivers licences are not acceptable.
- You must bring the original document on the test day - the SAME ONE as you used for your application form. Copies of ID documents on the test day will be refused and no refund will be granted under these circumstances.
- Copies of ID documents will not be accepted on the test day
If you do not bring the same document with the same number as on your application form, you will not be permitted to take the test and and your fee will not be refunded.
The IELTS test fee is £160.00 for 2017.
You can pay online:
After submitting your application, you will receive an email providing you with the online payment instructions. Please make sure to check your email inbox and junk email folder.
Payment can also be made by cash in person at the office. Please DO NOT send cash in the post.
The IELTS office can be located at the following address: Oddfellows Hall , 97 Grosvenor Street, Manchester, M1 7HF
Only one TRF is sent to each candidate.
You can request up to 5 additional TRFs to be sent to Recognising Organisations (academic institutions, government bodies or employers) on your application form. If you require additional TRFs to be sent to Recognising Organisations after application, this can be done at a cost of £5 per TRF.
You can request this by completing the application form and paying £5 per TRF online (we will send appropriate link).
You may cancel your IELTS registration at any time prior to taking test by notifying us in writing (letter or email), or you can come into the IELTS Office at the University Language Centre and complete a cancellation form. Cancellations must include:
- your full name
- your date of birth
- test date
- If the cancellation request is made more than 14 days before the test date, a full refund will be given.
- If the cancellation request is made within 14 days and 24 hours of the test date, a refund will be given, minus a £40 administration fee.
- If the cancellation request is made within 24 hours of the test date*, no refund will be given.
*Test registration is at 08:15am on the calendar day of the test, so cancellations need to be made before 08:15am on the previous calendar day to qualify for a refund under '2'.
If you are absent on the test day, your fee will not be refunded.
If you are unable to attend on the test day for a serious reason, please contact ULC immediately for advice.
To make a change to a test date, please email us with the details OR come to ULC and complete a transfer form.
Please note that an additional payment of £25.00 is required for each transfer request.
We run IELTS Preparation Courses at the University Language Centre.
If you are unable to attend a preparation course, a list of practice materials is available on the IELTS website, including Road to IELTS, a comprehensive 100% online preparation course designed by British Council IELTS experts.
Other publications may be available from bookshops specialising in English language teaching material. A bookshop in Manchester that stocks some IELTS preparation materials is:
The Precinct Centre
Everyone takes the same Listening and Speaking module but you must select either the Academic or General Training Reading and Writing modules.
- Academic is usually for admission to undergraduate or postgraduate courses. Overseas qualified medical doctors and nursing staff take the Academic modules.
- General Training is usually for people going to English speaking countries to complete their Secondary education, to undertake work experience or training programmes not at degree level, or for immigration purposes.
Please bear in mind that it is the candidate's responsibility to select the correct module.
Please also note that both modules of the test are paper-based only. Computer-based testing is not available at the University Language Centre.
Some candidates have special requirements such as a disability, hearing or sight impairment, dyslexia or a speech impediment, or a short term difficulty such as a broken arm. Special arrangements can usually be made in these circumstances.
Candidates should email firstname.lastname@example.org at the time of their application to inform us of these requirements. Please note that medical/other official evidence will be required, and that for some special arrangements (e.g. modified test material), a minimum of three months' notice is required.
13 days after the test. The results are sent to you by post or alternatively you can collect results on the day they are released. Collection in person must be arranged with the IELTS office in advance.
The results are also made available to you online 13 days after the test.
You are allowed to take the test again whenever you wish. There are no restrictions for repeating the test.