ULFR20360 - Further Business French
- Credits: 20
- Level: 2
- Pre-requisite: A good pass at A-level French or equivalent, or ULFR20020, or FREN10050 (MLBM students only)
- Co-requisite: This course is not open to native or near-native speakers.
- Timetable: Timetable for the course
This course aims to further develop language skills within a French business context and to prepare students for the Chambre de Commerce et d'Industrie de Paris Diplôme de Français Professionnel - Affaires B2 examination. While building on previously acquired linguistic skills, emphasis is placed on establishing sound topical knowledge and communicative know-how in three main areas:
- corporate life (general practices, rules and tasks of the typical workplace, including recruitment);
- manufacturing and commercial activities; and
- the socio-economic environment (national, European, and global perspectives).
On successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- interact orally with native speakers with a degree of fluency, spontaneity and phonetic accuracy in the main situations of professional life either by taking an active part in discussions of personal and professional interest or by giving a presentation on a reasonably complex subject;
- produce simple and common professional documents (letters, emails, notes, reports, summaries, translations, questionnaires, CV, etc.) displaying grammatical accuracy, syntactic and lexical variety, understanding of context, and awareness of nuance, register, and professional standards; and
- demonstrate a sufficient topical and lexical knowledge of the realities, practices and rules of modern day businesses in France so as to be in a position to take the CCIP DFP Affaires B2 examination (see link above)
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level B2+ of the Common European Framework for Languages.
Information handling, IT skills, cultural appreciation, language awareness, discussion, formal presentations, reports, summaries.
Teaching and learning methods
Each week focuses on a given business topic introduced by pre-class exercises (set on Blackboard) and consolidated / expanded in a three-hour class through mini-lectures, applied activities, case studies and business simulations. Independent learning is strongly encouraged through follow-up homework, use of Language Centre facilities and optional participation in the face-to-face e-Tandem/Skype programme with French native speakers abroad.
Language of teaching
Assessment for this course unit is designed in line with the Chambre de Commerce et d'Industrie de Paris guidelines and intended as a preparation for the DFP Affaires B2
- One in-class listening and writing test in weeks 8 (16%);
- One in-class reading and writing test in week 10 (17%);
- One one-to-one oral presentation in week 11 or 12 (17%).
Language of assessment
Nature and timing of feedback
Coursework assignments and in-class oral tasks:
- Individual written comments, plus individual oral feedback, within two weeks of submission for written work. Global feedback is delivered orally in class.
Summative tests in class:
- Written comments on individual performance and global feedback (delivered orally in class), within two weeks of submission.
20 per group
- Vocabulaire progressif du Français des affaires - avec 200 exercices, J.-L. Penformis (Clé International : 2013) ISBN: 9782090381436.
- Help yourself to advanced French Grammar, M. Ribière and T. Marriot, (Harrap: 1998), ISBN: 0582329450.
- Le Français de la communication professionnelle, M. Danilo & J.-L. Penformis (Clé International, 1992). ISBN: 9782190335841.
- Affaires.com niveau avancé, Livre De L'Eleve + DVD-Rom, J.L. Penfornis (Clé International, 2013), ISBN: 978-2090380415.
- The Oxford Business French Dictionary, M. Chalmers and M. Pierquin, (Oxford University Press: 2002), ISBN: 0198604831.
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and your employability by showing that you have a capacity to learn other languages and the desire to engage with other cultures.