ULGE11000 - Beginners' German 2-hour mode (non-credit only)
- Credits: Non-credited only
- Pre-requisite: None
- Taught during: Both semesters.
- Timetable: Timetable for the course.
This course is for absolute beginners who would like to get started with the language and to have the time to learn it and practise it at a 'modest pace', as compared to our general credited courses where the pace is actually quicker and more intense.
It aims to give students a basic knowledge of reading, listening, spoken and written skills in a dynamic and communicative way, through individual, pair and group work and studio-based and authentic texts. The focus is on accuracy as well as communication. Students will be expected to use the range of resources available to them in the Language Centre and to communicate with native speakers wherever possible, in order to develop cultural competence.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand short, simple messages and announcements;
- Read short simple texts and find specific information;
- Communicate in simple, routine situations;
- Write simple notes, messages and short personal letters.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A1.1+ of the Common European Framework.
Pair and team work, focused listening, informal presentations, lanuage awareness, cultural appreciation.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, two hours per week.
- Formative assessment in the shape of online/in-class self-assessment quizzes to evaluate receptive skills (reading and listening), and vocabulary.
- Summative assessment: 1 hour productive skills (writing and speaking) test.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of:
- Informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class-based learning activities;
- Formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
Melanie Födisch, Sascha Stollhans
- Menschen A1.1, Kursbuch mit DVD-ROM, Hueber Publisher, ISBN: 978-3-19-301901-1
- Menschen A1.1, Arbeitsbuch mit Audio-CD, Hueber Publisher, ISBN: 978-3-19-311901-8
- Kurzgrammatik zum Nachschlagen und Üben. A Compact Grammar for Reference and Practice (A1-B1), by Monika Reimann. (Hueber 2010), ISBN 978-3-19-109569-7
- Fit in Grammatik A1/A2, Taschentrainer"> , by Anneli Billina. (Hueber 2010), ISBN 978-3-19-357493-0
Pre-intermediate German - non-credit only 2-hour mode (tbc), or ULGE20110 Pre-intermediate German
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and your employability by showing that you have a capacity to learn other languages and the desire to engage with other cultures.