ULGE20030 - Further German (B2.2)
- Credits: 20
- Level: 2
- Pre-requisite: ULGE20020, or A-level + 1 year in a German-speaking country, or equivalent knowledge. Recommended for students returning from their year abroad.
- Co-requisite: Open to students not following Honours courses in German.
- Taught during: Both semesters.
- Timetable: Timetable for the course.
This course aims to further develop linguistic skills in the language for those who have either obtained an A-level or who have successfully completed ULGE20020. It lays emphasis on speaking and listening skills, but equally places a strong emphasis on grammar and accuracy. Students will be expected to practise all skills outside the classroom, using the resources of the Language Centre and, where possible, the Face to Face scheme (enquire at the Language Centre library reception).
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand extended speech, lectures, films and TV programmes without too much effort;
- Understand long and complex texts and specialised articles in a different field from one's own;
- Interact with native speakers with a degree of fluency and spontaneity and take an active part in discussion;
- Give a presentation on a reasonably complex subject;
- Write letters, reports and essays in a clear and well structured way, tailoring the style appropriately.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level B2 of the Common European Framework.
Information handling, IT skills, cultural appreciation, language awareness, discussion, formal presentations.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, three hours per week.
- Semester one: In-class paper based test 20%; Oral 10%. Assessment will normally take place during week 12; one dossier mark (10%).
- Semester two: One dossier mark (10%); Goethe-Zertifikat B2 Examination (Oral, Listening, Reading and Writing) 50%, on a Saturday either at the end of May or beginning of June 2018 (tbc).
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of:
- Informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class-based learning activities;
- Formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
- Sicher! in Teilbanden: Kurs- und Arbeitsbuch B2.2 Lektion 7-12, mit Audio-CD, Max Hueber Verlag, ISBN 978-3197012070.
- The German Handbook - Your Guide to Speaking and Writing German, Cambridge University Press, ISBN: 0521648602.
- Großes Übungsbuch Wortschatz A2-C1, by Lilli Marlen Brill + Marion Techmer. (Hueber 2011) , ISBN 978-3-19-201721-6.
- Übungsgrammatik für die Mittelstufe (B1-C1) Hueber(2009), ISBN 978-3-19-011657-7.
- Upgrade your German, by Annemarie Künzl-Snodgrass and Silke Mentchen. (2003) ISBN 978-0340-80662-1 Publisher Hodder Arnold.
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and your employability by showing that you have a capacity to learn other languages and the desire to engage with other cultures.