ULGE10021/ULGE10022 - Introductory German (A1.1)
- Credits: 10
- Level: 1
- Pre-requisite: None. This class is for complete beginners and covers approx. just under half the same material as the longer beginners course ULGE10010.
- Co-requisite: Open to students not following Honours courses in German.
- Taught during: ULGE10021 in semester one only, ULGE10022 in semester two only.*
- Timetable: Timetable for the course.
This course is designed for students who wish to move quickly through the fundamentals of German grammar while developing some basic communicative skills. It aims to teach students simple structures and lexis which will enable them to communicate effectively in a range of situations in a German-speaking country. Students will be expected to use the range of resources available to them in the Language Centre and to communicate with native speakers wherever possible, in order to develop cultural competence.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Handle some of the basic grammatical structures of German;
- Communicate orally and in written form in a limited number of social occasions.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A1.1 of the Common European Framework.
Pair and team work, focused listening, informal presentations, language awareness, cultural appreciation.
Teaching and learning methods
One three-hour seminar per week.
Language of teaching
English and the target language.
One written test (40%), one oral (35%) and one aural test (25%). The written and aural tests will take place in week 11, the oral test in week 12.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of:
- Informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class- based learning activities;
- Formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
Melanie Födisch, Marina Micke
23 per group.
- Menschen A1.1, Kursbuch mit DVD-ROM, Hueber Publisher, ISBN: 978-3-19-301901-1
- Menschen A1.1, Arbeitsbuch mit Audio-CD, Hueber Publisher, ISBN: 978-3-19-311901-8.*
*If you intend to carry on in order to complete the A1 level, then it is recommended you buy Menschen A1 (complete version), Kursbuch ISBN: 978-3-19-1001901-3 & Arbeitsbuch ISBN: 978-3-19-111901-0
- Grammatik - ganz klar! Übungsgrammatik A1-B1 (Hueber 2011), ISBN 978-3-19-051555-4.
- Übungsgrammatik Deutsch als Fremdsprache.
- Grammatik - kein Problem, Cornelsen Verlag, ISBN 978-3-589-01598-6.
- Kurzgrammatik zum Nachschlagen und Üben. A Compact Grammar for Reference and Practice (A1-B1), by Monika Reimann. (Hueber 2010), ISBN 978-3-19-109569-7.
- Fit in Grammatik A1/A2, Taschentrainer , by Anneli Billina. (Hueber 2010), ISBN 978-3-19-357493-0.
Following this course, with additional study and/or a short period of time in a German speaking country, students may progress to ULGE 20110: Pre-intermediate German, subject to the tutor's approval.
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and your employability by showing that you have a capacity to learn other languages and the desire to engage with other cultures.
*Note that ULGE10022 is NOT a continuation of ULGE10021, but a repeat. In semester one, teaching will take place during reading week.