Modern Hebrew - MEST10210/20210 - Beginners
- Credits: 20
- Level: 1
- Pre-requisite: None
- Co-requisite: None
- Taught during: Both semesters
- Timetable: Timetable for the course.
This is a beginner's level language course which teaches the skills of reception (reading and listening), production (speaking and writing) in the target language and mediation between the target language and English (translation and interpretation). The aim is to familiarise students with the spoken and written forms and the grammar of the language to enable them to begin to express themselves in writing, simple role=play and simple dialogues.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to gain:
- familiarity with the basic structure of Hebrew grammar;
- the ability to understand and translate simple Hebrew into English;
- the ability to translate English into simple Hebrew;
- the ability to write a simple Hebrew composition;
- the ability to listen and respond to a simple Hebrew recording (listening comprehension);
- the ability to read short Hebrew passages and respond in Hebrew (reading comprehension);
- the ability to conduct a simple Hebrew conversation.
Improved ability in independent learning and performance by identifying strengths and weaknesses, organisational and management skills, interpersonal and communicative skills and awareness and responsiveness to cultural diversity and intercultural communication.
Teaching and learning methods
3 weekly language classes.
- Two in-class assessments at the end of Semester 1, week 11 and 12 (20%)
- Speaking Exam - end of semester 2 (20%)
- Listening Exam - end of semester 2 (10%)
- Written exam - summer exam period (50%)
- Ivrit me-Alef ‘Ad Tav – Alef, Dionon, Tel-Aviv University, 1998.
- A reference Grammar of Modern Hebrew, Coffin and Bolozky Cambridge University Press, 2005
- Oxford Hebrew-English Dictionary
- Hebrew Verb Tables, Tarmon Uval,TamirPublishers,Jerusalem,1998
- English Hebrew by Subject, Hanna G. Perez, Joel Yaron Publishing, 2009
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and employability.