ULIT30022 - Introductory Italian (A1) - Enhanced
- Credits: 10
- Level: 3
- Pre-requisite: None
- Co-requisite: This enhanced level is open to final year students only, but not students following Honours courses in Italian
- Taught during: Semester 2 only
- Timetable: Timetable for the course (This course follows the same timetable as ULIT10022)
This course is designed for students who wish to move quickly through the fundamentals of Italian grammar while developing some basic communicative skills. It aims to teach students simple structures and lexis which will enable them to communicate effectively in a range of situations in an Italian speaking country. Students will be expected to use the range of resources [M2] available to them in the Language Centre and to communicate with native speakers wherever possible, in order to develop cultural competence. This is an enhanced course unit for level 3, so students have to complete a number of independent learning tasks and submit this work in the form of an assessed dossier – four tasks.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- handle some of the basic grammatical structures of Italian
- communicate orally and in written form in a limited number of social occasions.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A1 of the Common European Framework.
Pair and team work, focussed listening, informal presentations, language awareness, cultural appreciation.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, three hours per week.
Language of Teaching
English and target language
One written test (35%), one oral (25%), one aural test (20%) and one independent learning dossier comprising of four tasks to be conducted between weeks 3 and 12, plus a reflection/evaluation sheet to be submitted in week 12 (20%). The written and aural tests will take place in week 11, the oral test in week 12.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of:
- Informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class based learning activities;
- Formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
22 per group
- Foundations Italian 1 (includes 2 CDs) (Palgrave), 3rd Edition, ISBN: 9781137579218
- English grammar for students of Italian, Sergio Adorni / Karen Primorac, ISBN 9780934034203.
- Grammatica pratica della lingua italiana, Susanna Nocchi ISBN 9788886440899.
- Schaum’s Outlines Italian Grammar ISBN 9780071484695.
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and your employability by showing that you have a capacity to learn other languages and the desire to engage with other cultures.