ULJA20020 - Post-intermediate Japanese
- Credits: 20
- Level: 2
- Pre-requisite: ULJA20010 or equivalent Japanese ability.
- Co-requisite: Departmental agreement
- Taught during: Both semesters
- Timetable: Timetable for the course
This course aims to develop the skills acquired during previous study of the language in courses such as ULJA10010 (Japanese I) and ULJA20010 (Japanese II) or equivalent. The main focus is on acquiring spoken and listening skills. Reading and writing are used largely to support these goals and to give a fuller understanding of the language in use but there is further study of the kanji.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Have a more advanced understanding of spoken Japanese in various contexts in a variety of styles
- Talk on a wide range of topics and develop socio-cultural knowledge of contemporary Japan
- Further develop their vocabulary, grammatical knowledge and ability to read and write kanji characters
- Be able to engage with web-based materials.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level B1+/B2 of the Common European Framework.
Information handling, IT skills, cultural appreciation, language awareness, discussion, formal presentations.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, three hours per week.
- Semester one: One written test (20%), one presentation (10%), one dossier mark (10%). Oral and written assessments will normally be scheduled during weeks 10, 11 and 12.
- Semester two: One written test (20%), one aural (15%), one oral test (15%), one dossier mark (10%). Listening assessment will take place in the week before the Easter break (normally week 7 or 8); oral and written assessments will normally be scheduled during weeks 10, 11 and 12.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of:
- Informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class based learning activities
- Formal written feedback will be given following every assessment
Genki 2 (Japan Times), ISBN: 978-4789014434
Oxford Starter Japanese dictionary (ISBN: 0198601972) OR Oxford Kenkyusha Japanese Learner dictionary, and Oxford Japanese Grammar and Verbs (ISBN: 0198603827). More information at the Oxford University Press website. More advanced dictionaries and grammar books may be appropriate. Advice from tutors.
- Further Japanese, ULJA20030.