ULPT10010 - Beginners' Portuguese
- Credits: 20
- Level: 1
- Pre-requisite: None
- Co-requisite: Open to students not following Honours courses in Portuguese
- Taught during: Both semesters
- Timetable: Timetable for the course
This course is for absolute beginners. It aims to give students a basic knowledge of reading, listening, spoken and written skills in a dynamic and communicative way, through individual, pair and group work and studio-based and authentic texts. The focus is on accuracy as well as communication. Students will be expected to use the range of resources available to them in the Language Centre and to communicate with native speakers wherever possible, in order to develop cultural competence.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand short, simple messages and announcements
- Read short simple texts and find specific information
- Communicate in simple, routine situations
- Write simple notes, messages and short personal letters.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A1/A2 of the Common European Framework.
Pair and team work, focussed listening, informal presentations, language awareness, cultural appreciation.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, three hours per week.
Four pieces of assessed work as follows:
- Semester one: Written (Reading, Grammar, Writing) 30%. Assessment will normally take place during week 12.
- Semester two: Oral 20%; Listening 20%; Written (Reading, Grammar, Writing) 30% . Listening assessment will take place in the week before the Easter break (normally week 7 or 8); oral and written assessments will normally be scheduled during weeks 10, 11 and 12.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of:
- Informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class based learning activities.
- Formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
Novo Avenida Brasil 1: Curso Básico de Português para Estrangeiros. ISBN: 978-8512545202
Students are expected to work independently and in class on a literary work. The text selected for this level will be announced later. There is a myriad of dictionaries and books on grammar and verbs available on the market. The suggestions below are the most recommended based on current usage, quality of content, user-friendliness, the inclusion of supplementary materials (grammar and style), and value for money. Note 1: Either of the suggestions below is a good option; the first one being the most comprehensive. Note 2: Students are free to look for other options not contemplated in this list (Oxford, Langenscheidt, Larousse etc.).
- Collins Portuguese Dictionary and Grammar (Highly Recommended: Very comprehensive vocabulary + Large Supplement on Grammar and Style in English)
- Collins Pocket Portuguese Dictionary(Similar to above but with less content).
- ULPT20010 Intermediate Portuguese
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and your employability by showing that you have a capacity to learn other languages and the desire to engage with other cultures.