ULSP20020 - Post-intermediate Spanish
- Credits: 20
- Level: 2
- Pre-requisite: A good pass AS level Spanish or equivalent, or ULSP20010
- Co-requisite: Open to students not following Honours courses in Spanish. This course is not open to native or near native Spanish speakers
- Taught during: Both semesters
- Timetable: Timetable for the course.
This course aims to further develop reading, speaking, writing and listening skills practised in ULSP20010. It emphasises communication and comprehension, but also builds on the grammar base acquired in previous courses. Class tests and assignments ensure that you keep abreast of your work and consolidate and review earlier material.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- understand extended speech, most TV news programmes and many films
- read articles about contemporary problems which put forward arguments and different points of view
- speak with some fluency and spontaneity and take an active part in discussions
- give a presentation on a specialist subject, outlining advantages and disadvantages of particular cases
- write essays, reports and letters, putting forward personal points of view
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level B1+/B2 of the Common European Framework.
- information handling
- IT skills
- cultural appreciation
- language awareness
- formal presentations
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars - three hours per week.
- Semester one: One written test (20%), one presentation (10%), one dossier mark (10%). Oral and written assessments will normally be scheduled during weeks 10, 11 and 12
- Semester two: One written test (20%), one aural (15%), one oral test (15%), one dossier mark (10%). Listening assessment will take place in the week before the Easter break (normally week 7 or 8); oral and written assessments will normally be scheduled during weeks 10, 11 and 12
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of:
- informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class based learning activities;
- formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
Dr Ana Niño
- Aula Internacional 4 nueva edición, libro B2.1, ISBN: 9788415620853.
Textbooks will be complemented by tutor with extra contents and resources in order to ensure students will complete the B2 level in line with the CEF standards for each level. Students also must read this book:
Con la sartén por el mango, ISBN: 978841529158.