English for visiting and exchange students
These courses are only open to non-native speakers who come to the University as visiting or exchange students or on an ERASMUS programme (i.e., they are not open to international students enrolled on a full-time degree programme).
Applicants must have the IELTS proficiency level stated in the 'pre-requisite' section of the course description (or equivalent) in order to enrol.
If you do not have proof of the language proficiency required, you will be asked to take an online proficiency test. The details of the test can be found here.
Note that you cannot:
- Apply for courses at level IELTS 6.0 and 7.0 at the same time - see the FAQs for an explanation of this.
- Apply for both ULEN10062 and ULEN20062 (you may apply for ULEN10061 and then ULEN20062)
- Apply for both ULEN21011 and ULEN21022
- Apply for both ULEN10011 and ULEN10022
- Apply for both ULEN20031 and ULEN10032
- Apply for both ULEN10041 and ULEN20051
Also note that these are the only English language courses offered by LEAP. For information on other English language courses (but not exclusively for international students) visit the English language programmes page.
LEAP - English courses
ACADEMIC YEAR 2016-17
Courses at IELTS 6.0 level or equivalent (less than 65% in the online test)
- Business English for International Students
- English Language in Use
- Creative Writing
- Language and Culture Through Film
Courses at IELTS 7.0 level or equivalent (more than 70% in the online test)
- Advanced English Language in Use I
- Advanced Business English
- English for Academic Purposes Part 1
- Advanced Language and Culture Through Film
- Advanced Creative Writing
- Manchester Life and Culture (Ethnography)
- Text and Conversation Studies
- Global English
- Tandem English