ULAR10032 – Introduction to Arabic
A course unit offered in conjunction with the University College for Interdisciplinary Learning.
- Credits: 10
- Level: 1
- Pre-requisite: This unit is suitable for those who have never studied Arabic before.
- Co-requisite: If you are studying a Modern Languages Degree, either single or joint honours, please refer to relevant guidance about eligibility for LEAP units on your programme structure
- Taught during: semester two only - see Course dates.
- Timetable: Timetable for the course
This unit will be running in semester 2 of 2020/21, and more information about its content will be available shortly. If you are interested in enrolling for this unit, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest and we will email you when it is open for enrolment.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to
- Handle some of the basic grammatical structures of Arabic;
- Communicate orally in a limited number of social contexts;
- Perform at Level A1 (Speaking and Listening) of the Common European Framework.
Pair and team work, focused listening, ability to deliver informal presentations, language awareness, cultural appreciation.
Teaching and learning methods
One three-hour seminar per week, delivered through blended learning which integrates on campus and on-line instruction as necessary. This will also include online digital learning available via Blackboard and supplemented by extra online resources to aid students in their independent learning.
To be announced.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class-based learning activities;formal written feedback following every assessment.
Dr Orieb Masadeh-Tate
Maximum group size
22 per group
Let's Talk Arabic: Second edition: Volume 1 by Dr. Adam Yacoub (Author) ISBN-13: 978-1467968744
Following this course, with additional study and/or a short period of time in an Arabic speaking country over the summer period, students may progress to ULAR20210 - Pre-intermediate Arabic.