ULGE10010 - Beginners' German (A1)
- Credits: 20
- Level: 1
- Pre-requisite: None
- Co-requisite: Open to students not following Honours courses in German
- Taught during: Both semesters
- Timetable: Timetable for the course
This course is for absolute beginners. It aims to give students a basic knowledge of reading, listening, spoken and written skills in a dynamic and communicative way, through individual, pair and group work and studio-based and authentic texts. The focus is on accuracy as well as communication. Students will be expected to use the range of resources available to them in the Language Centre and to communicate with native speakers wherever possible, in order to develop cultural competence.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand short, simple messages and announcements;
- Read short simple texts and find specific information;
- Communicate in simple, routine situations;
- Write simple notes, messages and short personal letters.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A1/A2 of the Common European Framework.
Pair and team work, focussed listening, informal presentations, language awareness, cultural appreciation.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, three hours per week.
Three pieces of assessed work as follows:
- Semester one: Written (Reading, Grammar, Writing) 30%. Assessment will normally take place during week 12.
- Semester two: Written (Reading, Grammar, Writing) 20% - assessment will take place in the week before the Easter break; Goethe-Zertifikat A1 (Start Deutsch 1) Examination (Oral, Listening, Reading and Writing) 50%, on Saturday 11th May 2019. NB: The Goethe grade will be modified in order to conform with university regulations.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of:
- Informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class-based learning activities;
- Formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
23 per group.
- Menschen A1, Kursbuch mit DVD-ROM, Hueber Publisher, ISBN: 978-3-19-101901-3
- Menschen A1, Arbeitsbuch mit 2 Audio-CDs, Hueber Publisher, ISBN: 978-3-19-111901-0
- Grammatik - ganz klar! Übungsgrammatik A1-B1 (Hueber 2011), ISBN 978-3-19-051555-4;
- Übungsgrammatik Deutsch als Fremdsprache. Grammatik - kein Problem, Cornelsen Verlag, ISBN 978-3-589-01598-6;
- Kurzgrammatik zum Nachschlagen und Üben. A Compact Grammar for Reference and Practice (A1-B1), by Monika Reimann. (Hueber 2010), ISBN 978-3-19-109569-7;
- Fit in Grammatik A1/A2, Taschentrainer , by Anneli Billina. (Hueber 2010), ISBN 978-3-19-357493-0
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and your employability by showing that you have a capacity to learn other languages and the desire to engage with other cultures.