ULGE30051/ULGE30052 - Advanced Conversational German
- Credits: None. Please note there is a flat fee for this course of £150 per semester.
- Level: 2
- Pre-requisite: B2/B2+ level of German (Common European Framework). This course is not open to native or near-native speakers.
- Taught during: Semesters one and two. Students may study for just one semester.
- Timetable: Timetable for the course.
This course is designed for advanced learners of German who would like to brush up, maintain or consolidate their speaking skills. Over 10 weeks and with the guidance of a native tutor you will be practising conversational German over a specific topic every week. You will be provided with some reading or listening materials in advance in preparation to oral discussions, debates, role plays, etc. every week. Through this weekly oral practice you will enhance your vocabulary and grammatical structures whilst learning to express yourself with more spontaneity and confidence in a friendly environment.
Students will be expected to use the range of resources available to them in the Language Centre and to communicate with native speakers wherever possible, in order to develop further linguistic and cultural competence
Upon successful completion of the course, students will:
- Demonstrate comprehension of oral and written materials in the target language at the level of study.
- Speak with some fluency and spontaneity around a variety of topics.
- Participate in formal and informal conversations involving problem solving and decision making.
- Interact with fellow students expressing views and opinions, agreeing and disagreeing on various topics, providing arguments for or against,
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level B2+ of the Common European Framework.
Cultural appreciation, language awareness, discussion skills.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars: one hour per week.
Ongoing formative assessment in the shape of group discussions and presentations to evaluate knowledge and skills.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include informal ongoing oral individual or collective feedback resulting from class based learning activities.
ULGE20030 Further German or ULGE30030 Advanced German (with further independent work after the completion of this course).
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and your employability by showing that you have a capacity to learn other languages and the desire to engage with other cultures.