ULGE20010 - Intermediate German (B1)
- Credits: 20
- Level: 2
- Pre-requisite: AS level (all grades) or A2 (A-level year 2) grade C or below, or ULGE10110, or a 80% + pass at ULGE10010 (with tutor's approval only), or equivalent knowledge.
- Co-requisite: Open to students not following Honours courses in German.
- Taught during: Both semesters.
- Timetable: Timetable for the course.
This course aims to develop skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing German. It lays emphasis on communication and comprehension skills but also builds on the grammar base acquired in elementary courses. Topics covered earlier will be revised and extended and new themes introduced which will develop your understanding of the society and culture of contemporary Germany. Students will be expected to use the resources in the Language Centre and to communicate with native speakers wherever possible.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand the main points of clear, standard speech on familiar matters; and understand the main points of short, clear radio or TV programmes which deal with current affairs or topics of personal interest;
- Understand texts using fairly high frequency, everyday or job-related language;
- Intervene in a conversation if it deals with familiar topics;
- Express, in brief oral exchanges, an opinion or ambition and to give short explanations for these;
- Explain, briefly, a succession of events or to give information of an event;
- Write simple, connected texts on familiar topics or topics of personal interest.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level B1 of the Common European Framework.
Information handling, IT skills, cultural appreciation, language awareness, discussion, formal presentations.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, three hours per week.
- Semester one: One written test (30%) in week 12, one dossier task (formative) to be submitted in week 7.
- Semester two: One independend learning dossier mark (20%) to be submitted in the week before Easter; Goethe-Zertifikat B1 Examination (Oral, Listening, Reading and Writing) 50%, on Saturday 18th May 2019. NB: The Goethe grade will be modified in order to conform with university regulations.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of:
- Informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class- based learning activities;
- Formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
23 per group
- Studio  B1 Das Deutschbuch (Kurs- und Übungsbuch mit DVD-ROM), Cornelsen Verlag, ISBN: 978-3-06-520599-3.
- Studio  B1 Das Deutschbuch (Intensivtraining mit Hörtexten), Cornelsen Verlag,ISBN: 978-3-06-520602-0.
- The German Handbook - Your guide to speaking and writing German, Cambridge University Press, ISBN: 0521648602.
- Grammatik - ganz klar! Übungsgrammatik A1-B1 (Hueber 2011), ISBN 978-3-19-051555-4.
- Grundstufen-Grammatik für Deutsch als Fremdsprache (mit interaktiven Übungen) , by Monika Reimann (rev. ed. Hueber 2010), ISBN 978-3-19-161575-8.
- Fit in Grammtik B1, Taschentrainer, by Anneli Billina (Hueber 2010), ISBN 978-3-19-607493-2.
- Großes Übungsbuch Wortschatz A2-C1, by Lilli Marlen Brill + Marion Techmer. (Hueber 2011) , ISBN 978-3-19-201721-6.
ULGE20020, Post-intermediate German.