ULGE10022 - Introduction to German (A1.1)
- Credits: 10
- Level: 1
- Pre-requisite: This unit is suitable for those who have never studied German before.
- Co-requisite: If you are studying a Modern Languages Degree, either single or joint honours, please refer to relevant guidance about eligibility for LEAP units on your programme structure
- Taught during: Semester two.
- Timetable: Timetable for the course.
This unit will be running in semester 2 of 2020/21, and more information about its content will be available shortly. If you are interested in enrolling for this unit, please contact: email@example.com to register your interest and we will email you when it is open for enrolment.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Handle some of the basic grammatical structures of German;
- Communicate orally and in written form in a limited number of social occasions.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A1.1 of the Common European Framework.
Pair and team work, focused listening, informal presentations, language awareness, cultural appreciation.
Teaching and learning methods
One three-hour seminar per week, delivered through blended learning which integrates on campus and on-line instruction as necessary. This will also include online digital learning available via Blackboard and supplemented by extra online resources to aid students in their independent learning.
Language of teaching
English and the target language.
To be announced.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of:
- Informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class- based learning activities;
- Formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
22 per group.
- Menschen A1.1, Kursbuch mit DVD-ROM, Hueber Publisher, ISBN: 978-3-19-301901-1
- Menschen A1.1, Arbeitsbuch mit Audio-CD, Hueber Publisher, ISBN: 978-3-19-311901-8.*
*If you intend to carry on in order to complete the A1 level, then it is recommended you buy Menschen A1 (complete version), Kursbuch ISBN: 978-3-19-1001901-3 & Arbeitsbuch ISBN: 978-3-19-111901-0
- Grammatik - ganz klar! Übungsgrammatik A1-B1 (Hueber 2011), ISBN 978-3-19-051555-4.
- Übungsgrammatik Deutsch als Fremdsprache.
- Grammatik - kein Problem, Cornelsen Verlag, ISBN 978-3-589-01598-6.
- Kurzgrammatik zum Nachschlagen und Üben. A Compact Grammar for Reference and Practice (A1-B1), by Monika Reimann. (Hueber 2010), ISBN 978-3-19-109569-7.
- Fit in Grammatik A1/A2, Taschentrainer , by Anneli Billina. (Hueber 2010), ISBN 978-3-19-357493-0.
Following this course, with additional study and/or a short period of time in a German speaking country, students may progress to ULGE 20110: Pre-intermediate German, subject to the tutor's approval.
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and your employability by showing that you have a capacity to learn other languages and the desire to engage with other cultures.