ULGE51050 - LEAP German 5 (C1)
- Credits: 20
- Level: 2
- Pre-requisite: LEAP German 4 or equivalent e.g A-level + 1 year in a German-speaking country.
- Co-requisite: If you are studying a Modern Languages Degree, either single or joint honours, please refer to relevant guidance about eligibility for LEAP units on your programme structure.
- Taught during: Both semesters (September to May)
- Timetable: Timetable for the course.
This course is designed to consolidate students’ level of proficiency, not only with the use of complex grammatical structures of the German language but also with the introduction of sophisticated written and aural texts on both concrete and abstract topics, including articles and reports concerned with contemporary issues.
Students will gain competence in the ability to appreciate and use nuanced language at an advanced level, the ability to appreciate and use tone, register, structure and style in oral and written communication at an advanced level, and the ability to interact and negotiate orally in complex situations.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- demonstrate proficiency in the understanding and knowledge of language structure and grammatical rules;
- follow debates, discussions or conversations as well as communicate in a wide variety of situations using complex and linguistically accurate structures (different types of discourses, registers etc…);
- understand longer concrete and abstract reading and listening material;
- produce cogent, detailed text on most complex topics.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level C1 of the Common European Framework.
Information handling, IT skills, cultural appreciation, language awareness, discussion, formal presentations.
Teaching and learning methods
One three-hour seminar per week, delivered through blended learning which integrates on campus and on-line instruction as necessary. This will also include online digital learning available via Blackboard and supplemented by extra online resources to aid students in their independent learning.
69 hours (3 hours per week) including assessment time
Independent study hours
140 hours (not including assessment time)
- Semester one: Week 12- Written Exam 30%
- Semester two: Goethe-Zertifikat C1 offered subject to confirmation before the courses start.
The Goethe grade will be modified in order to conform to university regulations. PLEASE NOTE: Members of the public have to pay a fee of £75 for the Goethe exam.
Week 11- Listening Exam 10% & Written Exam 30%; week 12 - Oral Exam 30%
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of:
- Informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class-based learning activities;
- Formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
- Sicher! C1 by HUEBER Kursbuch ISBN 978-3-19-001208-4 + Arbeitsbuch ISBN 978-3-19-011208-1 (NEW)
- The German Handbook - Your Guide to Speaking and Writing German, Cambridge University Press, ISBN: 0521648602.
- Großes Übungsbuch Wortschatz A2-C1, by Lilli Marlen Brill + Marion Techmer. (Hueber 2011) , ISBN 978-3-19-201721-6.
- Übungsgrammatik für die Mittelstufe (B1-C1) Hueber(2009), ISBN 978-3-19-011657-7.
- Upgrade your German, by Annemarie Künzl-Snodgrass and Silke Mentchen. (2003) ISBN 978-0340-80662-1 Publisher Hodder Arnold.
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and your employability by showing that you have a capacity to learn other languages and the desire to engage with other cultures.