ULGE20110 Pre-intermediate German (A2)
- Credits: 20
- Level: 2
- Pre-requisite: GCSE grade A or A*, or ULGE10010, or equivalent knowledge.
- Co-requisite: Open to students not following Honours courses in German.
- Taught during: Both semesters.
- Timetable: Timetable for the course.
This course is designed for students who already have some knowledge of the German language, but who lack a basic understanding of the grammar system. It is also designed to meet the need of students who have completed a Beginners' course in German but who do not feel confident enough about their communicative skills to proceed directly to Intermediate Level.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will have acquired the ability to:
- Read German texts containing high frequency lexis and basic structures;
- Understand basic conversations or understand the gist of more complex conversations dealing with familiar topics;
- Talk on familiar and simple topics with reasonable fluency;
- Communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters;
- Write a short text or letter about familiar subjects.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A2 of the Common European Framework.
At the end of the course students will have developed their: active listening skills; skimming and scanning skills; presentation skills; ability to extract and process information textual information; intercultural competence.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, three hour per week.
- Semester one: Written (reading, grammar, writing) 30%. Assessment will normally take place during week 12.
- Semester two: Written (reading, grammar, writing) 20%. Assessment will take place in the week before the Easter break; Goethe-Zertifikat A2 Examination (oral, listening, reading and writing) 50%, on Saturday 11th May 2019. NB: The Goethe grade will be modified in order to conform to university regulations.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of:
- Informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class-based learning activities;
- Formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
23 per group
- Studio  A2 Das Deutschbuch (Kurs- und Übungsbuch mit DVD-ROM), Cornelsen Verlag, ISBN 978-3-06-520574-0.
- Studio  A2 Intensivtraining, Cornelsen Verlag, ISBN 978-3-06-520575-7.
- Fit in Grammatik A1/A2, Taschentrainer , by Anneli Billina. (Hueber 2010), ISBN 978-3-19-357493-0.
- Grammatik - ganz klar! Übungsgrammatik A1-B1 (Hueber 2011), ISBN 978-3-19-051555-4.
ULGE 20010 Intermediate German. If your end of year grade is below 60%, progression from Pre-intermediate to Intermediate is only recommended with additional self-study or guided study.
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and your employability by showing that you have a capacity to learn other languages and the desire to engage with other cultures.