ULGE30040 Proficient German (C2)
- Credits: 20
- Level: 3
- Pre-requisite: ULGE30030, or excellent A-level +2 years intensive study, or time spent working/studying in a German-speaking country.
- Co-requisite: Open to students not following Honours courses in German. Not open to native or near-native students.
- Taught during: Both semesters.
- Timetable: Timetable for the course.
Proficient German is aimed at students who have reached near-native fluency in the language, probably after spending an extended period in a German speaking country.
The course will allow students to:
- Expand further the range and accuracy of their lexical and syntactical skills with special regard to written and oral production;
- Keep up to date with the latest developments in contemporary Germany, Austria and Switzerland and to develop further a contextual understanding of these.
This course will focus on issues related to general and current topics related to the German-speaking world and will prepare the students for the C2 Goethe Exam. Part of the course will be dedicated to reading fiction (short novels, short stories), thereby developing further both a global and a more detailed understanding of longer authentic German texts. The course will follow the coursebook. However, activities are adapted to the interests and needs of participants with a view to developing proficient standards of communication in the academic and social fields. Those done in class mainly focus on oral and aural work while those done at home focus on written skills, providing the opportunity for individual corrective feedback. They include: debates on current affairs; listening and reading activities based on German media publications/ broadcasts; discussions of questions arising from reading fiction; essays based on issues as outlined above; consolidation of advanced grammar and language usage.
By the end of the course students will have deepened and broadened their knowledge of:
- Aspects of contemporary life in German speaking countries/ cultures;
- The 'German perspective' on major world events and developments;
- Topic-specific vocabulary and phraseology; d) advanced grammar usage;
- Various spoken and written registers;
- Oral and written argumentative techniques;
- Fiction written in German.
And will be able to:
- Speak and write sophisticated and grammatically correct German in a variety of controlled or creative contexts;
- Understand spoken and written German with great confidence and ease;
- Express their views spontaneously, precisely and coherently;
- Speak and write competently about German fictional texts, or aspects of these.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level C2 of the Common European Framework.
Presenting and defending an argument; essay writing; language analysis; reading and understanding longer authentic texts of a fictional nature; (cross-)cultural awareness; IT skills.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, three hours per week.
- Semester one: one 1,000-word essay in German. Students have a choice of three topics, one of them being a literature based one, to be done at home and submitted in week 12 (15%); one in-class written test in week 11 (20%); speaking test in week 8, in the form of a 20-minute debate, prepared at home and done in pairs in class, on a controversial topic agreed with the tutor in week 7 (15%).
- Semester two: speaking test from week 3 in the form of a presentation, prepared at home, on a controversial topic agreed with the tutor in week 7 (15%); one in-class listening comprehension test in week 11 (15%); one in-class translation from English into German of around 400 words of a text on a topic dealt with in class in week 12 (20%).
**Please note that we run the Goethe-Institut C2 examination (GDS), but this is not offered as part of the C2 course assessment. For dates and fees, please see Goethe-Institut examinations.
Nature and timing of feedback
Coursework assignments and in-class oral tasks:
- Individual written comments, plus individual oral feedback, within two weeks of submission for written work;
- Global feedback delivered orally in class.
Erkundungen C2: Deutsch als Fremdsprche, Integriertes Kurs- und Arbeitsbuch mit beigefügter CD by Anna Buscha, Susanne Raven, Mathias Toscher, Schubert Verlag, ISBN 978-3-941323-22-3.
- Grammatik mit Sinn und Verstand, Klett Verlag, ISBN: 978-3-12-675425-5.
- Deutsch als Fremdsprache: Übungsgrammatik für Fortgeschrittene, by Karin Hall, Barbara Scheiner (2001), Hueber Verlag, ISBN 978-3-19-007448-8.
- Fit fürs Goethe-Zertifikat C2 –Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom, by Linda Fromme + Julia Guess (Hueber 2012) ISBN 978-3-19-201875-6.
- Da fehlen mir die … Worte. Systematischer Wortschatzerwerb für fortgeschrittene Lerner in Deutsch als Fremdsprache, by Wiebke Strank (Schubert Verlag 2010), ISBN 978-3-929526-99-8.
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and your employability by showing that you have a capacity to learn other languages and the desire to engage with other cultures.