ULKR10010 - Beginners' Korean
- Credits: 20
- Level: 1
- Pre-requisite: None
- Co-requisite: Open to all students except Korean
- Taught during: Both semesters
- Timetable: Timetable for the course
This course is for absolute beginners. It aims to give students a basic knowledge of reading, listening, spoken and written skills in a dynamic and communicative way, through individual, pair and group work and studio-based and authentic texts. The focus is on accuracy as well as communication. Students will be expected to use the range of resources available to them in the Language Centre and to communicate with native speakers wherever possible, in order to develop cultural competence.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand short, simple messages and announcements
- Read short simple texts and find specific information
- Communicate in simple, routine situations
- Write simple notes, messages and short personal letters using Korean characters.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A1/A2 of the Common European Framework.
Pair and team work, focussed listening, informal presentations, language awareness, cultural appreciation.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, three hours per week.
four pieces of assessed work as follows:
- Semester one: Written (Reading, Grammar, Writing) 30%. assessment will normally take place during week 12.
- Semester two: Oral 20%; Listening 20%; Written (Reading, Grammar, Writing) 30%. Listening assessment will take place in the week before the Easter break (normally week 7 or 8); oral and written assessments will normally be scheduled during weeks 10, 11 and 12.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of: informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class based learning activities; formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
20 per group
Ewha Korean 1 and 2; Ewha Woman's University Press. ISBN 897300879X. The books will be available via the University Language Centre Library.
- Intermediate Korean, ULKR20010
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and employability. It will help prepare you for travelling to and working in Korea.