ULKR20010 - Intermediate Korean
- Credits: 20
- Level: 2
- Pre-requisite: Beginners' Korean, ULKR10010, or equivalent.
- Co-requisite: Open to all students except Korean
- Taught during: Both semesters
- Timetable: Timetable for course
This course is designed for students who already have completed a basic course in the Korean language. It also serves those students with some knowledge of the Korean language, but who lack a basic understanding of the grammar system.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand frequently-used Korean words and phrases in speech and in written form
- Understand Korean grammar at a simple level
- Understand basic conversations or understand the gist of more complex conversations dealing with familiar topics
- Talk on familiar and simple topics with reasonable fluency
- Write a short text or letter about familiar subjects.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A2 of the Common European Framework.
At the end of the course students will have developed their: active listening skills; skimming and scanning skills; presentation skills; ability to extract and process information textual information; intercultural competence.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, three hours per week.
- Semester one: One written test (20%), one presentation (10%), one dossier mark (10%). Oral and written assessments will normally be scheduled during weeks 10, 11 and 12.
- Semester two: One written test (20%), one aural (15%), one oral test (15%), one dossier mark (10%). Listening assessment will take place in the week before the Easter break (normally week 7 or 8); oral and written assessments will normally be scheduled during weeks 10, 11 and 12.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of: informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class based learning activities; formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
20 per group
Ewha 2-1 (ISBN: 978-89-7300-885-8)
Basic Korean, A Grammar and Workbook (IBSN:978-0-415-77487-1).
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and employability. It will help prepare you for travelling to and working in Korea.