ULPL10070 - Beginners' Polish
- Credits: 20
- Level: 1
- Pre-requisite: This unit is suitable for those who have never studied Polish before.
- Co-requisite: If you are studying a Modern Languages Degree, either single or joint honours, please refer to relevant guidance about eligibility for LEAP units on your
- Taught during: Both semesters (September to May).
- Timetable: Timetable for the course
This course aims to give absolute beginners in the language a basic knowledge of reading, listening, speaking and writing skills in a dynamic and communicative way, through individual, pair and group work, and via studio-recorded and authentic texts.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand short, simple messages and announcements;
- read short simple texts and find specific information;
- communicate in simple, routine situations;
- write simple notes, messages and short personal letters.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A1/A2 of the Common European Framework.
Pair and team work, focussed listening, informal presentations, language awareness, cultural appreciation.
Teaching and learning methods
One three-hour seminar per week, delivered through blended learning which integrates on campus and on-line instruction as necessary. This will also include online digital learning available via Blackboard and supplemented by extra online resources to aid students in their independent learning.
Four pieces of assessed work as follows:
- Semester one: Written (Reading, Grammar, Writing) 30%.
- Semester two: Oral 20%; Listening 20%; Written (Reading, Grammar, Writing) 30%.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of:
- informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class based learning activities;
- formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
Dr Orieb Masadeh-Tate
Iwona Stempek, Anna Stelmach, Sylwia Dawidek, Aneta Szymkiewicz, Krok po kroku. Polski. Seria podręczników do nauki języka polskiego dla obcokrajowców. Poziom A1/ A2, Kraków 2013, ISBN: 978-83-930731-0-8.
Basic Polish. A Grammar and Workbook by Dana Bielec, Routledge 2008, ISBN-10: 0415224373; ISBN-13: 978-0415224376
ULPL20070 Advanced Polish
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and your employability by showing that you have a capacity to learn other languages and the desire to engage with other cultures.