ULPT30010 - Beginners' Portuguese - Enhanced
- Credits: 20
- Level: 1
- Pre-requisite: None
- Co-requisite: Open to students not following Honours courses in Portuguese
- Taught during: Both semesters
- Timetable: Timetable for the course - please note it is the same as for the ordinary beginners course.
This course is for absolute beginners who are final year students. It aims to give students a basic competence in the skills of reading, listening, spoken and writing Portuguese in a dynamic and communicative way, through individual, pair and group work, using studio-based and authentic texts. The focus is on accuracy as well as the development of communicative skills. Students will be expected to use the range of resources available to them in the Language Centre and to communicate with native speakers wherever possible, in order to develop cultural competence. This is an enhanced course unit for Level 3, so students are also expected to complete a number of independent learning tasks and submit this work in the form of an assessed dossier - three tasks per semester.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand short, simple messages and announcements
- Read short simple texts and find specific information
- Communicate in simple, routine situations
- Write simple notes, messages and short personal letters.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A1+/A2+ of the Common European Framework.
Students who complete this course with satisfactory attendance and with a minimum mark of 60% (A1+); 70% (A2)% will be given a UNILANG certificate of recognition.
Pair and team work, focussed listening, informal presentations, language awareness, cultural appreciation.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, three hours per week. In addition, compilation of an independent learning dossier on topics of personal interest and/or prospective career relevance.
Four pieces of assessed work as follows:
- Semester one: Written (Reading, Grammar, Writing) 20%. %. Independent learning dossier - four tasks 10%. The written assessment will normally take place during week 12.
- Semester two: Listening test 15%; Written test (Reading, Grammar, Writing) 25%; and Oral test 20%. Independent learning dossier – one extended open task 10% (to be handed in the week before the Easter break, normally 7 or 8). The listening assessment will take place in the week before the Easter break (normally week 7 or 8); written and oral assessments will normally be scheduled in weeks 11 and 12
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of:
- Informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class based learning activities.
- Formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
Passaporte para Português 1 Livro do aluno (A1/A2) ISBN: 978-972-757-975-4
Language practice book: Gramatica activa 1 ISBN-10: 978-972-757-638-8
There is a myriad of dictionaries and books on grammar and verbs available on the market. The suggestions below are the most recommended based on current usage, quality of content, user-friendliness, the inclusion of supplementary materials (grammar and style), and value for money. Note 1: Either of the suggestions below is a good option; the first one being the most comprehensive. Note 2: Students are free to look for other options not contemplated in this list (Oxford, Langenscheidt, Larousse etc.).
- Collins Portuguese Dictionary and Grammar (Highly Recommended: Very comprehensive vocabulary + Large Supplement on Grammar and Style in English)
- Passaporte para Português 1, Caderno de Exercícios (A1/A2) ISBN: 978-972-757-976-1
- Portuguese An Essential Grammar (All in English and Portuguese – no exercises)
- Português XXI 1 Livro do aluno (A1) Nova Edição, ISBN: 9789727579273
- Português XXI - Nova Edição: Caderno de exercicios 1 (A1) ISBN-10: 9727579337
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and your employability by showing that you have a capacity to learn other languages and the desire to engage with other cultures.