ULRU10010 - Beginners' Russian
- Credits: 20
- Level: 1
- Pre-requisite: This unit is suitable for those who have never studied Russian before.
- Co-requisite: If you are studying a Modern Languages Degree, either single or joint honours, please refer to relevant guidance about eligibility for LEAP units on your programme structure.
- Taught during: Both semesters (September to May).
- Timetable: Timetable for the course
This course is for absolute beginners. It aims to give students a basic knowledge of reading, listening, spoken and written skills in a dynamic and communicative way, through individual, pair and group work and studio-based and authentic texts. The focus is on accuracy as well as communication. Students will be expected to use the range of resources available to them in the Language Centre and to communicate with native speakers wherever possible, in order to develop cultural competence.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand short, simple messages and announcements
- Read short simple texts and find specific information
- Communicate in simple, routine situations
- Write simple notes, messages and short personal letters.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A1/A2 of the Common European Framework.
Pair and team work, focussed listening, informal presentations, language awareness, cultural appreciation.
Teaching and learning methods
One three-hour seminar per week, delivered through blended learning which integrates on campus and on-line instruction as necessary. This will also include online digital learning available via Blackboard and supplemented by extra online resources to aid students in their independent learning.
Four pieces of assessed work as follows:
- Semester one: Written (Reading, Grammar, Writing) 30%.
- Semester two: Oral 20%; Listening 20%; Written (Reading, Grammar, Writing) 30%.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of:
- informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class based learning activities
- formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
Dr Orieb Masadeh-Tate
22 per group
Russkii suvenir (Student's book with CD + workbook). ISBN: 978-5883374004
Russkii suvenir, workbook. ISBN: 978-5883374011
ULRU20010 Intermediate Russian