ULSP30030 - Advanced Spanish
- Credits: 20
- Level: 3
- Pre-requisite: Good level of spoken and written Spanish, ULSP20030 or equivalent level (B2+/C1; A-level + 1 year). Recommended for students returning from a year abroad
- Co-requisite: Open to students not following Honours courses in Spanish. This course is not open to native or near native Spanish speakers
- Taught during: Both semesters
- Timetable: Timetable for the course.
This course is aimed at advanced learners who wish to further develop the four language skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking) for academic and recreational purposes. The course also develops some techniques which serve as an introductory preparation for the DELE C1 should students wish to sit for this internationally recognized qualification.
Activities done in class and/or prepared at home lay emphasis on linguistic accuracy and variety. Taking into account the needs and interests of the class, some of these activities encourage personal fluency and others more controlled and accurate use of the language.
- the study and use of contemporary vocabulary, advanced grammar and styles as related to genres and registers encountered in current affair medias, modern literature, films, songs, and academic production
- weekly practice of listening skills through comprehension exercises based on advanced level podcasts, broadcasts, or extracts of TV programs and films.
- the exploration and guided discussion in small groups of social, political and cultural issues related to the Spanish-speaking world
- the regular production of small translation passages and of writing tasks based on DELE C1 (letter, narrative, argumentative essay, etc.) for individual feedback
Students will be expected to practise all skills outside the classroom, using the resources of the Language Centre and, where possible, the Face to Face scheme (enquire at the Language Centre library reception).
Upon successful completion of the course, students will:
- have an advanced understanding of Spanish grammar and usage
- have an enhanced knowledge of topic-specific vocabulary
- be able to distinguish and select different spoken and written registers and styles appropriately
- be able to apply different translation and writing techniques, including summaries and argumentative writing
- be able to produce grammatically correct Spanish in a variety of controlled/guided as well as creative contexts, both spoken and written
- be competent to understand spoken and written Spanish of an increasingly complex nature with greater confidence and ease
- be able to express themselves fluently and spontaneously in a variety of social contexts and on a broad number of different topics
- be able to formulate views and opinions with precision and relate them to those of others
- be able to use persuasive techniques
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level C1+ of the Common European Framework.Common European Framework
- presenting information and defending a point of view
- academic and creative writing
- translation and interpreting
- cultural awareness
- IT skills
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars - three hours per week.
- An in-class written test comprising a 300 word composition in Spanish and a 200 word English into Spanish translation (week 11, 25%).
• one in-class listening comprehension in week 8 or usually the week before the Easter Break (20%)
• one final written test (week 11, 30%)
• one oral discussion (week 12, 25%)
Students who complete this course with satisfactory attendance and with a minimum mark of 65% will be given a C1 UNILANG certificate of recognition.
Nature and timing of feedback
Coursework assignments and in-class oral tasks: Individual written comments, plus individual oral feedback, within two weeks of submission for written work. Global feedback is delivered orally in class. Summative tests in class: Written comments on individual performance and global feedback (delivered orally in class), within two weeks of submission.
Dr Ana Niño
Dr Ana Niño
20 per group.
Material will be provided weekly by the tutor as a dossier and on Blackboard, and students will be encouraged to recommend and share their own resources and views ahead of classes using the same medium.
- Dominio - Curso de perfeccionamiento / Libro del alumno, Edelsa ISBN 9788477113522
ULSP30040 Proficient Spanish