ULSP10040 - Beginners' Spanish 2hr mode (non-credit only)
- Credits: 20
- Level: 1
- Pre-requisite: None
- Co-requisite: Open to students not following Honours courses in Spanish. This course is not open to native or near native Spanish speakers
- Taught during: Both semesters (September until May)
- Timetable: Timetable for the course
This course is for absolute beginners who would like to get started with the language and to have the time to learn it and practice it at a ‘modest pace’, as compared to our general credited courses where the pace is actually quicker and more intense.
It aims to give students a basic knowledge of reading, listening, spoken and written skills in a dynamic and communicative way, through individual, pair and group work and studio-based and authentic texts. The focus is on accuracy as well as communication. Students will be expected to use the range of resources available to them in the Language Centre and to communicate with native speakers wherever possible, in order to develop cultural competence.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand short, simple messages and announcements;
- read short simple texts and find specific information;
- communicate in simple, routine situations;
- write simple notes, messages and short personal letters.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A1.1 of the Common European Framework.
Pair and team work, focussed listening, informal presentations, language awareness, cultural appreciation.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, two hours per week.
Four pieces of assessed work as follows:
- Formative assessment in the shape of online/ in class self-assessment quizzes to evaluate perceptive skills (reading and listening), and vocabulary.
- Summative assessment: 1 hour productive skills (writing and speaking) test.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of:
- informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class based learning activities;
- formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
25 per group
- Aula Internacional 1 (new bilingual edition) ISBN: 9788415846772.
Textbooks will be complemented by tutor with extra contents and resources in line with the CEF standards for each level.
To be announced