ULSP10002 - Talk Spanish in 10 weeks (non-credit only)
- Credits: none
- Level: 1
- Pre-requisite: None
- Co-requisite: Open to students not following Honours courses in Spanish.
- Taught during: Semester two
- Timetable: Timetable for the course
This course is for absolute beginners who would like to get started with the language and to have the time to learn it and practice it at a ‘modest pace’, as compared to our more rigorous credited courses where the pace is quicker and where study is more intense.
The course aims to give students a basic knowledge of reading, listening, spoken and written skills in a dynamic and communicative way, through individual, pair and group work and accessible texts. The focus is on accuracy as well as communication. Students will be expected to use the range of resources available to them in the Language Centre and to communicate with native speakers wherever possible, in order to develop cultural competence.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- understand short, simple messages and announcements;
- read short texts and find specific information;
- communicate in routine situations;
- write notes, messages and short personal letters.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform close to level A1.1 of the Common European Framework.
Pair and team work, focussed listening, informal presentations, language awareness, cultural appreciation.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, two hours per week over 10 weeks.
- Ongoing formative assessment in the shape of online/ in class exercises and quizzes to evaluate knowledge and skills.
- Summative assessment: 1 hour test.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of:
- informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class based learning activities; and
- formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
22 per group.
- ELE Actual A1 ISBN: 9788467551815
Textbooks will be complemented by tutor with extra contents and resources in line with the CEF standards for each level.
- To be announced.
To be announced
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and your employability by showing that you have a capacity to learn other languages and the desire to engage with other cultures.