ULSP10021 / ULSP10022 - Introductory Spanish
Please note that the introductory course differs from the beginners in length and learning outcome: the beginners is a full-year course, whereas the introductory level is only one semester long. Both start at the same level (absolute beginner), but the beginners goes further and deeper as it is approximately double the number of teaching hours plus double the number of self-study hours.
- Credits: 10
- Level: 1
- Pre-requisite: None
- Co-requisite: Open to students not following Honours courses in Spanish. This course is not open to native or near native Spanish speakers
- Taught during: ULSP10021 in semester one only, ULSP10022 in semester two. Note that ULSP10022 is NOT a continuation of ULSP10021, but a repeat. In semester one, teaching will take place during reading week (w/c 31st October 2016)
- Timetable: Timetable for the course.
This course is designed for students who wish to move quickly through the fundamentals of Spanish grammar while developing some basic communicative skills. It aims to teach students simple structures and lexis which will enable them to communicate effectively in a range of situations in a Spanish-speaking country. Students will be expected to use the range of resources available to them in the Language Centre and to communicate with native speakers wherever possible, in order to develop cultural competence.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- handle some of the basic grammatical structures of Spanish
- communicate orally and in written form in a limited number of social occasions
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A1 of the Common European Framework.
Students who complete this course with satisfactory attendance and with a minimum mark of 65% will be given a UNILANG certificate of recognition.
Pair and team work, focussed listening, informal presentations, language awareness, cultural appreciation.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, three hours per week.
- one written test (40%)
- one oral test (35%)
- one aural test (25%)
The written and aural tests will take place in week 11, the oral test in week 12.
22 per group.
• ELE Actual A1 ISBN: 9788467551815
Textbook will be complemented by tutor with extra contents and resources in line with the CEF standards for each level.
Reading: Easy Spanish Reader with CD-Rom ISBN 9780071603386;
- Language practice: Collins Easy Learning Spanish Grammar, ISBN: 9780008142018