ULSP20110 - Pre-intermediate Spanish
- Credits: 20
- Level: 2
- Pre-requisite: GCSE grade C or lower or, if taken over 3 years ago, grade A*, A or B, or equivalent; or ULSP10010 is mark is velow 65%.
- Co-requisite: Open to students not following Honours courses in Spanish. This course is not open to native or near native Spanish speakers
- Taught during: Both semesters
- Timetable: Timetable for the course.
This course is designed for students who have completed a Beginners' course but who do not feel confident enough to proceed directly to Intermediate Level or who would like more time to consolidate material introduced earlier. It is most probable that these will be part-time students or those from non-European language backgrounds.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will have acquired the ability to:
- understand texts using high frequency everyday language
- read short, simple texts with specific information and simple personal letters
- communicate orally in simple, routine situations and handle short social exchanges about familiar topic
- write a short personal letter or text about familiar subjects
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A2/A2+ of the Common European Framework.
Students who complete this course with satisfactory attendance and with a minimum mark of 65% will be given a UNILANG certificate of recognition.
- active listening
- skimming and scanning texts
- presentation skills
- extracting and processing information
- intercultural competence
Teaching and learning methods
One three-hour seminar per week.
Language of teaching
English and the target language.
Four pieces of assessed work as follows:
- Semester one: Written (Reading, Grammar, Writing) 30%
- Semester two: Oral 20%; Listening 20%; Written (Reading, Grammar, Writing) 30%.
Listening assessment will take place in the week before the Easter break (normally week 7 or 8); oral and written assessments will normally be scheduled during weeks 10, 11 and 12.
Nature and timing of feedback
Feedback will include a combination of:
- informal ongoing oral and written feedback resulting from homework and class based learning activities;
- formal written feedback will be given following every assessment.
25 per group.
- Aula Internacional 2 ISBN 9788415640103.
Reading: Lejos de casa +CD (A2+), Lourdes Miguel/Neus Sans. ISBN: 9788484431336
Language practice: Bitácora 2 Difusión ISBN: 9788484438069
ULSP20010 Intermediate Spanish