Turkish - ULTU10010 - Beginners' Turkish
- Credits: 20
- Level: 1
- Pre-requisite: None
- Co-requisite: Open to students not following Honours courses in Turkish.
- Taught during: Both semesters.
- Timetable: Timetable for the course.
This course aims to give absolute beginners in Turkish a basic knowledge of reading, listening, speaking and writing skills in a dynamic and communicative way, through individual, pair and group work, and via studio-recorded and authentic texts.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand short, simple messages and announcements;
- Read short simple texts and find specific information;
- Communicate in simple, routine situations;
- Write simple notes, messages and short personal letters.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A1/A2 of the Common European Framework.
Pair and team work, focussed listening, informal presentations, language awareness, cultural appreciation.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, three hours per week.
Four pieces of assessed work as follows:
- Semester one: Written (Reading, Grammar, Writing) 30%
- Semester two: Oral 20%; Listening 20%; Written (Reading, Grammar, Writing) 30%. Listening assessment will take place in the week before the Easter break (normally week 7 or 8); oral and written assessments will normally be scheduled during weeks 10, 11 and 12.
- Hitit Turkish Volume 1, Tomer (2008) ISBN: 9754825378.
Students are encouraged to use the Language Centre resources for material for beginners in Turkish.
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and employability. It will help prepare you for travelling to and working in Turkey.