Turkish - ULTU10010 - Beginners' Turkish
- Credits: 20
- Pre-requisite: This unit is suitable for those who have never studied Turkish before.
- Co-requisite: If you are studying a Modern Languages Degree, either single or joint honours, please refer to relevant guidance about eligibility for LEAP units on your programme structure.
- Taught during: Both semesters (September to May).
- Timetable: Timetable for the course.
This course aims to give absolute beginners in Turkish a basic knowledge of reading, listening, speaking and writing skills in a dynamic and communicative way, through individual, pair and group work, and via studio-recorded and authentic texts.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand short, simple messages and announcements;
- Read short simple texts and find specific information;
- Communicate in simple, routine situations;
- Write simple notes, messages and short personal letters.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level A1/A2 of the Common European Framework.
Pair and team work, focussed listening, informal presentations, language awareness, cultural appreciation.
Teaching and learning methods
One three-hour seminar per week, delivered through blended learning which integrates on campus and on-line instruction as necessary. This will also include online digital learning available via Blackboard and supplemented by extra online resources to aid students in their independent learning.
Four pieces of assessed work as follows:
- Semester 1: Semester 1 Written exam 20%, Speaking exam 20%.
- Semester 2: One listening test 20%, and one written exam 40%.
Dr Ablimit Baki Elterish
- Teach Yourself Turkish, Asuman Pollard, ISBN: 0844237159.
Students are encouraged to use the Language Centre resources for material for beginners in Turkish.
Successful completion of this course unit will enhance your curriculum vitae and employability. It will help prepare you for travelling to and working in Turkey.