How can I support my students with their English?
The University Language Centre provides support for international students at all levels and skills – most are free of charge and you are welcome to direct your students to make use of these services.
If you are teaching international students, you may find that they need additional support with their English language during their studies.
- The free Online Diagnostic Test will enable your students to see if they would benefit from attending in-sessional support classes alongside their degree programme.
- The in-sessional courses cover academic writing, speaking and grammar. They are free of charge and run from October through to the Easter vacation.
- You can also direct your PGR (PhD) students to the Academic Writing Tutorial Service, which is a one-to-one appointment to support them with their written academic work
- The Language Centre also creates and runs programme-specific courses and workshops, tailored to particular programmes and/or schools/faculties. If you have a specific language support requirement for your teaching area, please contact us directly by email to discuss your requirements. There is usually a charge for this provision.
- The ULC also runs training workshops in academic writing for Postgraduate students through the various Faculty training offices.
- You can also direct your students to our online materials and resources such as Academic Phrasebank.
- Online Diagnostic Test
- In-sessional courses
- Academic Writing Tutorial Service
- Our online materials and resources
- Academic Phrasebank