Semester 2: 29 January-23 March 2018
- If you have not attended a class before, you must first take the online diagnostic test*.
- Once you have taken the test, please express interest for each class using the links provided (click Done to submit your registration form). After you have expressed interest, you will receive a confirmation email telling you which room to go to.
- Grammar course outlines will appear below in due course, but you can find the course description and timetables below.
*For further information and to find a link to the test, please click here.
This course aims to examine areas of English grammar which are particularly useful for academic writing but which are not easily found in standard grammar textbooks.
You are expected to participate actively in the class by completing grammatical exercises and discussing answers with the class.
Topics to be covered include:
- error analysis
- complex noun phrases
- using verb forms effectively
- modal auxiliaries
- sentence patterns
- information focus
- article use.
Although the same topics are covered again in the second semester, different materials and exercises are used.
Grammar Class timetables
If you miss week one, or any other weeks of this course, you do not need to worry. A new topic/language point will be discussed each week. For this reason, you should only attend one class per week.
Please choose one class only.
- (GRAM1) Wednesday 2-3pm: Ellen Wilkinson A3.7. To express interest, please click here.
- (GRAM3) Friday 2-3pm: Simon 4.38. To express interest, please click here.