Search type

University Language Centre

Frequently asked questions

How do I apply?

Full details of how to apply can be found on our how to apply pages.

What is the minimum and maximum period of study?

The minimum period of study for our English for Academic Purposes couse is either 9 or 10 weeks, depending on which term you enter (see dates and fees for the dates of each term - there are three per year).

The maximum period of study is 29 weeks and your progress will be monitored by the Course Co-ordinator should you wish to progress to the next term or apply for a Pre-sessional course. 

The English for Academic Purposes couse is not suitable for advanced students (C1-C2 on the CEFR). You will be advised during the application process if the course is suitable for you. 

The minimum period for the English Summer Programme is three weeks.

What evidence do I need to submit with my application?

You must submit evidence that your level is equivalent to IELTS 4.5 overall with no less tha 4.0 in any sub-skill (at least B1 on the Common European Framework for Languages). If you require a Tier 4 visa you will need to have scores equivalent to B1 in each skill in a UKVI IELTS test (IELTS 4.0) taken at UKVI approved IELTS centres globally.

We also require a copy of your passport.

If you have previously studied in the UK you must submit a copy of your previous visa as this may impact upon any future UK visas.

Further details can be found on our how to apply pages.

How can I pay my fees?

You can pay your deposit (and balance of fees) online once we have received your application and made you an offer. Information on how to pay will be sent to you directly.

Sponsored students must provide evidence of sponsorship (certified letter of sponsorship/financial guarantee).

See our how to apply pages for further information.

Can I progress to a pre-sessional English course?

It is possible to progress to one of our pre-sessional courses provided you have received an offer for a degree course from the University of Manchester and you have progressed to the point where you are likely to meet your English language entry requirements by the end of the Pre-sessional course.

There will be formative and summative assessments to monitor your progression. You must make sufficient progress in order to move onto the next term of the EAP course. 


Please see our pre-sessional pages for further details of our pre-sessional courses.

Can I take the IELTS test during my studies?

The University Language Centre is a regional IELTS test centre.

Students are also able to do IELTS preparation through our target module.

To view available test dates please see our IELTS pages.

What kind of accommodation is available for students on this course?

Details about available accommodation can be found on our accommodation pages.