Frequently asked questions

How do I apply?

Full details of how to apply can be found on our how to apply pages.

What is the minimum and maximum period of study?

The minimum period of study for our English for Academic Purposes Pre-sessional couse is 8 weeks.

The maximum period of study is 38 weeks.

The English for Academic Purposes Pre-sessional couse is not suitable for advanced students (C1-C2 on the CEFR). You will be advised during the application process if the course is suitable for you. 

The minimum period for the English Summer Programme is three weeks.

What evidence do I need to submit with my application?

You must submit evidence that your level is equivalent to IELTS 4.5 overall with no less than 4.0 in any sub-skill (at least B1 on the Common European Framework for Languages). If you require a Tier 4 visa you will need to have scores equivalent to B1 in each skill in a UKVI IELTS test (IELTS 4.0) taken at UKVI approved IELTS centres globally.

We also require a copy of your passport.

If you have previously studied in the UK you must submit a copy of your previous visa as this may impact upon any future UK visas.

Further details can be found on our how to apply pages.

How can I pay my fees?

You can pay your deposit (and balance of fees) online once we have received your application and made you an offer. Information on how to pay will be sent to you directly.

Sponsored students must provide evidence of sponsorship (certified letter of sponsorship/financial guarantee).

See our how to apply pages for further information.

How old do I need to be to study on this course?

You must be 18 years old at the start of the course to be eligible for study.

Do I need a visa to study on this course?

If the course is being taught entirely online, you will not need a visa to study on the course, as you will be expected to study online from your home country. 

If you choose our blended learning route where some teaching will be on campus, you must hold valid immigration permission (a visa) that allows you to study in the UK. From 1st January 2021, EU/EEA studens who have not applied to the EU Settlement Scheme and who are not Irish citizens will also need to apply for a study visa.

More information can be found on the visa guidance page of the main University of Manchester website.

Can I take the IELTS test during my studies?

The University Language Centre is a regional IELTS test centre and students can book on to a test during their studies. Please note, IELTS test fees are not included in the course tuition fee.

To view available test dates please see our IELTS pages.

What kind of accommodation is available for students on this course?

Details about available accommodation can be found on our accommodation pages.