How to apply

To apply, please complete the application form and return to along with a copy of your English Language Certificate and current visa (if applicable). Please note that a minimum number of applicants is required for the course to run. Confirmation that the course will run will be provided at least 4 weeks before the start date. Please do not book flights or accommodation, or get your visa until you have confirmation that the course will run.

Manchester General English Application Form


Please check the booking conditions before submitting your application. 


What happens next

  1. Your application will be reviewed by a member of the admissions team
  2. If your application is successful, you will be asked to pay a deposit or show evidence of financial sponsorship
  3. Accept your offer online (instructions will be emailed)
  4. Apply for accommodation, if required


How to pay course fees

If you are paying your own fees

We will send you instructions on how to pay online. Please do not pay your fees before your application has been assessed. The balance of the course fees must be paid in full at least 20 working days before the start of the course.

If your fees are being paid by a sponsor

You will need to provide evidence of sponsorship in order to secure a place on the course. A sponsor letter should be attached to your application. Before you commence your studies you will also need to provide a financial guarantee.

Please note that the sponsorship letter needs to contain the following information:

  • Must be addressed to The University of Manchester
  • Must be produced on official company letter headed paper from the sponsoring organisation/embassy and must state clearly:
    • Contact telephone numbers / fax / email
    • The full name of the student to be sponsored
    • The title of the student's programme of study
    • The student's year of study or years of study that the sponsorship will apply to
    • A statement that the student's tuition fees (£ amount) or proportion of their fees (£ amount) will be paid upon receipt of an invoice from the University
    • If you have government funding you should also provide a letter from the appropriate London Embassy