Semester 2 in-sessional grammar classes start in January but you can begin attending at any point during the semester
Semester 2 in-sessional grammar classes give you extra help with the accuracy of your writing
- In-sessional classes are free of charge to University of Manchester students and staff.
- Please express interest for one class using the links provided (click Done to submit your registration form). After you have expressed interest, you will receive a confirmation email telling you which room to go to.
- You still need to express interest even if you attended in Semester 1.
- In-sessional Grammar (unlike Academic Speaking or Academic Writing), is a course of 8 workshops – but you can start later in the semester if you like.
- If you are not sure whether these classes would be suitable, you may take the online diagnostic test.
This course aims to examine areas of English grammar which are particularly useful for academic writing but which are not easily found in standard grammar textbooks.
You are expected to participate actively in the class by completing grammatical exercises and discussing answers with the class.
Topics to be covered include:
- error analysis
- complex noun phrases
- using verb forms effectively
- modal auxiliaries
- sentence patterns
- information focus
- article use.
Although the same topics are covered again in the second semester, different materials and exercises are used.
General data protection regulations
The University needs to collect, maintain and use personal data in order to process your registration for classes. It is important that you read our Students, Applicants and Offer Holders Privacy Notice, to understand how we process your personal information.
Grammar class timetables
The same session is repeated multiple times in a week; you should therefore only attend one grammar class per week.
- (GRAM1) Monday 4pm - 5pm: express interest
- (GRAM2) Wednesday 4pm - 5pm: express interest
- (GRAM3) Thursday 12 noon - 1pm: express interest