Semester 1 In-sessional Grammar classes start in October but you can begin attending at any point during the semester
- In-sessional classes are free of charge to University of Manchester students and staff.
- Please express interest for one class using the links provided (click Done to submit your registration form). After you have expressed interest, you will receive a confirmation email telling you which room to go to.
- Grammar course outlines will appear below in due course, but you can find the course description and timetables below.
- If you are not sure whether these classes would be suitable, you may take the online diagnostic test.
This course aims to examine areas of English grammar which are particularly useful for academic writing but which are not easily found in standard grammar textbooks.
You are expected to participate actively in the class by completing grammatical exercises and discussing answers with the class.
Topics to be covered include:
- error analysis
- complex noun phrases
- using verb forms effectively
- modal auxiliaries
- sentence patterns
- information focus
- article use.
Although the same topics are covered again in the second semester, different materials and exercises are used.
General Data Protection Regulations
The University needs to collect, maintain and use personal data in order to process your registration for classes. It is important that you read our Students, Applicants and Offer Holders Privacy Notice, to understand how we process your personal information.
Grammar Class timetables
Please note: due to technical reasons, the links below will only be open Monday-Friday 0930-1700.
The same session is repeated multiple times in a week, you should therefore only attend one grammar class a week.
- (GRAM1) Monday 14.00 - 15.00: This class is now full, to be added to the waiting list, please click here.
- (GRAM2) Tuesday 14.00 - 15.00: To express interest, please click here.
- (GRAM3) Wednesday 14.00 - 15.00: This class is now full, to be added to the waiting list, please click here.
- (GRAM4) Thursday 14.00 - 15.00: To express interest, please click here.