Entry requirements

Entry Requirements for the 10 and 6 week online Pre-sessional courses

Each degree course offered at the University of Manchester has its own English Language entry requirements.  To find out if you are eligible for one of our summer online Pre-sessional courses, you should refer to your offer letter, or contact the academic school that you have applied to. You can find their contact details on your offer letter.  The decision to allow you to study on a pre-sessional course lies with your academic school. 

See the main University study pages for more information:

All Pre-sessional applicants must have a minimum score of 5.5 in writing and no more than one subskill score of 5.0. Applicants who are not eligible for the summer Pre-sessional courses are can apply for our year round English for Academic Purposes course

We can accept a range of English Language tests for entry on to our online Pre-sessional courses including:


IELTS Academic


TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition


LanguageCert International ESOL B2 Communicator / C1 Expert

If you have an English Language test not listed, please contact your admissions office for advice. The details of which you can find on your main course offer letter.