Search type

University Language Centre

Welcome to Manchester - pre-sessional students 2019

Prepare for Manchester

Before you make your journey to Manchester, there are things you can do from home to help you prepare. We’ve put together a guide to help you.

Set up your student account

Activate your IT account

Once you receive your offer for your Pre-sessional course, you can set up your University of Manchester IT account. 

Complete online registration

Before you start your Pre-sessional course, you will need to register as a student of the University of Manchester. Registration is an important step in your student journey and will give you access to everything you need during your studies.  We will send you an email telling you when to register.

  • For the 10 week Pre-sessional course, you will be able to register from ? June.
  • For the 6 week Pre-sessional course, you will be able to register from 1 July.
  • For the 3 week Pre-sessional course you will be able to register from 1 August.

It is important that you complete all 10 steps of registration to fully register as a student. You can upload a photo of yourself during the registration process which will be printed on your student card when you arrive.


University halls - pre-sessional

The University offers accommodation to Pre-sessional students between 29 June and 7 September. University Halls are conveniently situated either within walking distance of the University Campus or a short bus ride away. Details of the halls available and how to book can be found on the University accommodation office website.  

Students who book a place in University accommodation for their Pre-sessional course and their main academic course will be guaranteed accommodation between the end of the Pre-sessional accommodation contract and the start of the new accommodation contract. Please note that students may be required to move to temporary accommodation during this period before having access to their final accommodation for the academic year. Bookings for the in-between contracts period will be available on the accommodation office website in August 2019.

For students on the 10 and 6 week Pre-sessional course, we will be offering a free airport collection service to transport you from Manchester Airport to your University halls. To book your airport collection, please complete the online booking form

University halls – September onwards

For your main course of study, you will need to make a separate accommodation application. There are many options available for you to choose from.

To apply for University Halls for September onwards visit the University accommodation office website.

Private accommodation

There is plenty of private accommodation across the city. Manchester Student Homes can provide details of privately rented properties, independent housing advice and a free contract checking service.

Landlords need to check that you have valid immigration permission to be in the UK, so you will be asked to provide your passport and visa when you rent a property.

You will need to check if you can stay in the same accommodation throughout your pre-sessional course and your main academic course, and make arrangement if this is not available. 


Immigration permission to study at The University of Manchester

EEA and Swiss students

If you are a citizen of the EEA or Switzerland, you are entitled to enter the UK freely and have the right to stay here with immigration permission.

International Students (non-EEA or Swiss)

You will need to apply for a Tier 4 Student visa.

You will be sent a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). You may be issued with a CAS that covers the Pre-sessional course only (Single CAS), or a CAS that covers both the Pre-sessional course and your main academic course (Joint CAS). Your main academic school will tell you which one applies to you.

Students on a CAS that covers the Pre-sessional course only (single CAS holder)

During your studies on the Pre-sessional course, you will be invited to attend an immigration webinar which will explain to you how to apply to extend your immigration permission to cover your academic course. It is very important for you to attend the webinar. You can also find more information on the process on our Student Support website.

Arriving in the UK

If you are coming to Manchester from outside the EEA and are travelling on a visa, you will need to answer questions and provide documentation at the airport immigration control when you arrive in the UK.

Documents that you should carry in your hand luggage include:

  • valid passport and visa
  • original copies of academic qualification documents and English Language evidence
  • travel insurance
  • address and contact details of your accommodation in Manchester
  • small amount of cash in pounds sterling and bank cards

If you are planning to bring food check the government list of banned foods and goods.

We also recommend that you bring a laptop or tablet with you to use during your studies and in the classroom.

For more tips on what to bring with you to the UK have a look at one student’s tips on what to pack.

Preparing for success

Helpful resources

To help you get the most out of your Pre-sessional course, we’ve put together a list of resources you can use before you start your Pre-sessional course:

We recommend that you bring a laptop/tablet and earphones with you to use during your study to ensure you get the most of the course.

Starting at Manchester


Getting to the University

The University is easy to get to from anywhere in the world, with an international airport and great public transport links.

Visit our maps and travel webpages for detailed information about getting to the University from Manchester Airport and elsewhere in the UK.

Airport collection service

If you are staying in University owned accommodation for your Pre-sessional, we will be offering a free airport collection service on Saturday 29 June and Saturday 27 July. To book a place visit the airport collection booking form website.

Starting your pre-sessional course


On your first day at the University Language Centre, the Admissions and Welfare team will welcome you to the University and give you everything you need for the start of the course. On this day you will:

  • attend a welcome and introduction talk from the Centre Director, Course Coordinator, Welfare Officer and International Relations Team
  • meet the admissions team and collect your student timetable
  • collect your University of Manchester Student ID card
  • collect a bank letter if you would like to open a UK bank account
  • complete international check-in where you must provide evidence of your immigration permission

Please see our international website for information on what you need to bring with you on your first day of the course.

You will receive detailed information on where you need to be on your first day around 2 weeks before the start of the course.

Campus tours

The University of Manchester is the largest campus based University in the UK. To help you find your way around, we will take you on a tour of the campus during your first week.


Opening a UK bank account

If you want to pay your tuition fees for your undergraduate or postgraduate course fees by instalments, you will need to set up a UK bank account.

It’s also more convenient to have a UK bank account as you can avoid transactional or currency conversion charges incurred through using a foreign bank card.

The University is currently working with a number of local banks to make it as easy as possible for you to open a bank account during your first week of study. Further details will be posted here when available.

There are two banks that allow students to set up a UK bank account while you are still overseas:

  • HSBC – open to people who have a HSBC account in their home country
  • Bank of China

Sponsored students

If you are a sponsored student it is very important that you send your Financial Guarantee to the University prior to starting your course, or if this is not possible, to bring this with you on your first day.

Without your Financial Guarantee, you will not be able to start your course.

Further information on what is required on your financial guarantee can be found on our website

Health and well-being


The University Language Centre has a dedicated Welfare Officer who is available to support you and provide you with advice on a range of issues such as:

  • life in Manchester, settling into studies, your new life and cultural diversity
  • health and looking after yourself – including registering with a GP
  • financial matters – including opening a bank account
  • police registration
  • safety and security

On your first day at the University, you will meet the Welfare Officer who will tell you more about the support available to you.

You will also have access to a wide range of support services at the University of Manchester which you can find out about on our student support website


At Manchester, we take well-being very seriously. Well-being is about finding ways to stay happy and healthy during your studies to help you to succeed. Read the six ways to well-being for ideas and tips on how to make positive changes to help you feel good and live well.  

Safety and security

Manchester is generally safe, but as in any large city you should take precautions.

Visit our student support pages for tips for keeping safe in the city.


During your studies, we will be running a number of workshops covering a range of topics including:

  • accommodation matters
  • diversity and cultures
  • health and well-being
  • managing your finances
  • safety and security

We would encourage you to attend as many workshops as possible to help you find out more on these important topics.