How to apply
IELTS test registration - Before you apply, please make sure you read the IELTS general information page
Registration is simple - please follow the steps below:
To register for an IELTS test, please complete the online application form.
Or apply in person / post
Visit the IELTS Office to apply in person. You will need to bring your payment and an accepted form of ID.
We would advise you book your test online. However, if you want to apply for the test by post, please print the application form (link available below) and post it to our offices. Please ensure you sign and date the declaration on page 4.
The test fee is £175 for 2019. After submitting your application, you will receive an email providing you with the online payment instructions. Please make sure to check your email inbox and junk email folder.
If you have not yet uploaded your ID document online, you will need to send us a copy of your passport or ID document:
Accepted forms of ID:
- National ID Cards - For EU Citizens only - this must have your photograph, name in English lettering, signature, date of birth and a unique number
- Please note that you must bring the SAME DOCUMENT that you upload with your application to the test day. If you lose or renew your passport/ID document before the test, you must contact us immediately for advice.
Send your documents to:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or
University Language Centre
University of Manchester
WG12 Samuel Alexander Building
Once we have received your documents, you will be sent a confirmation by email. Please make sure you check the inbox for the email address you provide us as this is the main way we correspond with candidates.
You may cancel your IELTS registration up to 24 hours prior to taking the test by notifying us in writing (letter or email), or you can come into the IELTS Office at the University Language Centre and complete a cancellation form. Cancellation emails must include:
- your full name
- your date of birth
- the test date you are cancelling
1. If the cancellation request is received within 14 days of making a payment ('cooling-off' period) and more than 14 days before the test date, a full refund will be given.
2. If the cancellation request is received within 14 days of making a payment ('cooling-off' period) and between 14 days and 24 hours before the test date*, a refund will be given, minus a £40 administration fee.
3. If the cancellation request is received after the 'cooling-off' period (14 days after payment), and between 14 days and 24 hours before the test date*, a refund will be given, minus a £40 administration fee.
4. If the cancellation request is received within 24 hours of the test date*, no refund will be given.
*Cancellation or transfer requests must be made before close of business (5.00pm GMT) on the Thursday prior to the test date to qualify for a refund.