English for Academic Purposes Pre-sessional

Update for applicants, 14th July 2020

We understand that the Covid-19 crisis has created real uncertainty for all our students, particularly those who need to travel from outside of the UK to take up their place in Manchester. We're absolutely committed to delivering the highest-quality learning and student experience at Manchester, and we're very much look forward to seeing you on campus as soon as we can; however, we recognise that may not be possible for a little while.

Our English for Academic Purposes Pre-sessional course will be taught online during Term 1, starting on 26th October 2020. Classes will take place online for 4 days per week, with the option of a face-to-face lesson for those who are able to join us in Manchester at least 1 day per week. Students who are not able to travel to the UK for semester 1 will be able to study completely online for Term1. Please see our dates and fees page further information. 

The confirmed dates for Term 1 are: 26th October 2020 - 18th December 2020 (8 weeks)

We are currently reviewing the situation, in line with government advice and will update our applicants and offer holders over the coming months. 

You can read more about on the University of Manchester's response to the Covid-19 crisis on our dedicated website

Our full-time English for Academic Purposes Pre-sessional course is designed to prepare you for your future degree course, whilst studying in the vibrant culture of The University of Manchester. 

This course is ideal for you if you have a B1-B2 level of English (according to the CEFR) and you are aiming to continue on to an undergraduate or postgraduate programme either at the University of Manchester or another university in an English speaking country.

The course is available for between 10 and 40 weeks of study. 

For further information please see our course description:

The University of Manchester Language Centre is the highest ranked university language centre in the UK*, according to the British Council's Accreditation Scheme, with more 'strengths' than any other UK university. 

*EL Gazette UK Language Centre Rankings 2019 https://www.elgazette.com/top-language-centres/

When does the course run?

Our EAP Pre-sessional course runs from October to September. There are 3 fixed start dates available in October, January or April.  Applicants interested in starting a course during the summer should visit our summer Pre-sessional information.  See our course dates and fees for further information.

How long is the course?

The minimum period of study is 8 weeks. The length of course you choose will be dependent on your current level of English and the level you wish to attain at the end of the course. 

What is the class timetable?

Term 1: During term 1, which will be delivered on line with a face-to-face option, you will have 14 hours of live learning classes which will take place 5 days per week between 9:00am and 12:30pm GMT. In addition to live learning you will also have Integrated Learning tasks to complete each day which we recommend you spend around 2 hours per day completing.

During terms 2 and 3, we hope to be able to teach you in Manchester face-to-face. You will study for 18 hours per week with an additional 5 hours of guided self-study. Classes are normally scheduled Monday to Friday between 09.30am - 3.00pm. You will be expected to do some homework and additional self-study. A timetable will be provided to you on your first day. For further details see the course description.

In term 4, you will follow the timetable for the summer Pre-sessional course. Further information on the timetable for summer 2021 will be available later in the year. 

What is the minimum enrolment age?

The minimum enrolment age is 18.

Do I need a visa?

Term 1: If you intend to study Term 1 online in your home country, a visa is not required. If you would like to travel to Manchester and experience the campus and face-to-face learning, you will need to apply for a visa if you are an international student from outside the EU/EAA. 

Term 2 and 3: International students will require  a Tier 4 General Student Visa.  

More information can be found on the visa guidance page of the main University of Manchester website.


How do I apply?

Please see our how to apply page.

More information

For more information: