English for Academic Purposes
- Course code: ULEN20001
- Credits: 10
- Mode: TBC
- Pre-requisite: IELTS 7.0
- Co-requisite: cannot be taken with ULEN20002
- Taught during: Semester 1
- Timetables: Timetable for the course
You will explore the nature of academic English with classroom input. You will look at a number of key academic skills in English, including writing from listening, synthesising sources you have read, and giving oral presentations.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- recognize a range of basic functions in academic writing
- analyse the grammatical and lexical patterns of such functions
- produce extended written academic text that draws on an appropriate range of academic writing functions
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level C1 of the Common European Framework.
At the end of the course, students should be able to:
- make oral presentations using appropriate media for a target audience
- write a synthesis of a set of texts
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, 3 hours per week.
- individual oral presentation (30%)
- coursework essay (maximum 1,500 words) (70%)
Materials to be provided by the tutor.
ULEN20052 Advanced English Language in Use, or any other course at IELTS level 7.0 or above.